Friday 20 May 2016

Waking Up On The Wrong Side Of The Bed

Well there are some days when you wake up ready to greet the morning and then there are days in which you are clear, you have woken up on the wrong side of the bed.  Sometimes I wonder if it was a dream I had that made me angry or edgy or frustrated, and yet I can’t remember one.  Everything seems to be going in the wrong direction.  Immediately the world turns upside-down, coffee filters rip and wet coffee grinds find their way to the floor, containers won’t open, cupboard doors take on a life of their own reaching out to smack me in the head, or is it just me??  I have to wonder since it doesn’t seem as if the whole world has changed since I went to bed and yes it is true I am the common denominator in my experiences.  I wonder and then google who exactly came up with the saying “waking up on the wrong side of the bed”?  Well it seems that the Romans believed that it was bad luck to get out of bed on the left hand side and that meant getting out of bed on the “wrong side”which was thought to bring you very bad luck all day.  But yet I get out of bed on the exact same side every day!   It is left from standing at the foot of the bed looking at it and right if I am laying down.  So which exactly way is it to exit the wrong side of the bed as there seems to be a few variables here.  And if it is from the end of the bed we are considering, well then I get out on the wrong side every morning!! Ok, so it is just a saying, but one thing is for sure, it seems to be a real thing.  Cranky pants in the morning for absolutely no apparent reason!  One of my favorite speakers says, what you focus on, you will get more of.  Well if that means I focus on being cranky, and then my coffee filter rips, and then I bang my head on the cupboard door and then Max decides that is the morning he should test out all of his craziest whining voices accompanied by his funniest sayings, like “help me.. I need a biscuit“  while I am trying desperately to “turn the bus around”  and the dog is also whining, because her water and food dishes are full!  This to me is a clear indication, I must have done an exit bedside left!!    So once I have accepted the fact I have indeed, "woken up on the wrong side of the bed", I make sure that in any way I can, I work to turn it around.  I may go back to bed for 20 min to 3 hours, (schedule permitting, since I work afternoons) then I work to reboot and exit bedside right!!  If I don’t have time to go back to bed I make sure I try and focus on something else for at least 17 seconds and then again for another 17 seconds to redirect my day.  Happy Thoughts... Happy Thoughts... ducking another cupboard door aiming for my head.  If I must get in my car, then I make extra sure to take that 17 seconds before putting the car in drive and look at some clouds or something relaxing and breath and focus.  I have decided running over pedestrians or getting in accidents never improves any day!!!  Yes, the day could get much worse but if you practice, it can get much better, much quicker!   Besides, if you are cranky you know without a doubt every other cranky person (or worse yet... annoying person) is on their way to see you.  You have now become a magnet to exactly what you wish to avoid… every tractor from rural Ontario will find its way to you and will be going 3km an hour in front of you, pretending to turn into each driveway (yes even in the city!).  So I guess what I am saying is, since I can't avoid this morning phenomenon, so I try and sit back, I try and find the humour and chill out.  Yep there may be no cure to the initial start of the day, but I have realized you can sure turn it around prior to a full blown “bad day”!  It is all in how you proceed from that moment you get up and take one step off of the “wrong side of the bed”!  

No comments:

Post a Comment