Wednesday 5 April 2017

Another Round Of Improv - January 22, 2017

Well I have stepped in to another round of Improv and this time a little closer to home!  London seemed like such an unattractive drive during the winter.   You never know from one day to the next what to expect with driving conditions.
So when I heard that there was one right next door at the town hall in St Marys, I was super excited!  It had a running time from December to March (exactly my not leaving town months) and included two performances at the end of the session… ok now that is a little scary.  At least in London you decided if you wanted to continue on into a troupe.  However my fear of driving in a white out proved to be greater than my fear of going on stage for two nights with an Improv troupe!  Liane our leader I found was completely different than our London teachers and was just as fun and fascinating to me as any of my other instructors.  Coming from a theatre background I felt as if I was viewing everything from a completely different perspective, all while being in the same genre.  Theatre is something I was never really part of and maybe should have been.  Although I think it would have missed me with impact and concern in my early years about not looking silly and taking this type of risk socially.This is just a letting go of what people think of random and outrageous ideas and thoughts while having fun and being creative and dramatic.  All somewhat foreign to me which seems to make it very intriguing!!  

So I’m not really thinking about the show, I’m just enjoying the process, I will be having another Improv Troupe from London coming into my studio Feb 17th and hopefully inspiring me to embrace the show/on stage part of this new art I have been drawn into.  But I have found it has increased my confidence and ability to talk on stage, which I felt I was already average in, but just makes it that much more comfortable and quick,
leaving out over thinking which can hamper stage presence.  Besides the fact as I always tell others who are coming in to learn a new instrument as an adult.  It is always great to learn new things and to challenge yourself and to stretch yourself.. Especially as we get older and more settled into our comfort zones, and my reward is watching them have fun and challenge themselves and be impressed with their achievement!   So wish me luck on March 3rd and 4th at the beautiful St Marys Town Hall theatre, or better yet come out and watch me make a fool of myself (one of the directives for Improv) with my other new Improv friends.  One thing I can guarantee is you will have fun and have a good laugh!  Which in my opinion you can never have too many :)

No comments:

Post a Comment