Monday 23 October 2017

BC ~ 2017

I am writing this article from beautiful BC, beautiful Victoria, BC to be exact!  My first vacation in quite awhile and it has been wonderful!  I have traveled to the west coast many times in my 20s as my best friend from 9yrs old on moved here when she was 23, and I traveled pretty much yearly to see her and absorb BC, I made for several trips even making a trip with Dustin and my mom and then Jesse and my mom.  Then adding one more baby I think my getting away years slimmed right out. Finally about 5 years ago I returned for a quick visit.  But this year for my 50th Birthday I wanted to do something substantial to prove I hadn't withered up and forgotten how to live (and since Joanne was home in Toronto for her 50th) I decided to head her way to ring in the first bit of my
50th year with her and BC!  My plan was to bring Max and spontaneously Jesse was able to join us!  Which meant double the fun and a good combination of fun for the boys.  Our first stop on our thus far whirl wind vacation was Vancouver where a friend hosted us for a few days, and leant us his car when he had to be off to watch the Seahawks for his birthday with his daughter and that day we traveled to Whistler, the drive itself of course was half of the amazing beauty, the next day was Stanley Park and Gas Town, two more amazing parts of Vancouver and then I think my favourite part was jumping on the ferry to go from Horseshoe Bay to Nanaimo where Joanne picked us up for the next leg of the journey!  Like heading straight back to our youth my kids were somewhat amazed to
see us belly laughing within the hour of our visit.  We were adventurous youths and that never changed for either of us.   We went to her hubbies family condo on a beautiful resort near Qualicum Beach and absorbed all of the breathtaking views, and the next day set out for beaches and had one night in an amazing campground where I slept on the ground, something I haven't done for years and had on my 50 checklist to make sure I still "had it".  Most of our youth was spent in tents and canoes.  We hiked (a baby hike) through some beautiful areas and I was able to check that off my list as well!  Then beaches and more beaches and Long Beach I think was my favourite so far, however they were all spectacular!  Well except the one lake with the spectacular view, nestled in the mountains with the amazing drive through the bad of a mountain on a steep cliff filled gravel road.  As when we arrived the park worker informed us that they had the "itch" in their beautiful lake.  A term I hadn't heard but was enough to turn the bus around.. especially after the description of a two day itch of the skin (some people
with sensitive skin may get) from tiny parasites that find their way under your skin.... we bailed after absorbing the beautiful view and taking a few photos and headed for the fresh ocean waters at yet another beautiful beach.  My favourite part of travelling is staying with people who live in the areas as they know all of the best spots for everything.  It was nostalgic for Joanne who raised her kids there (now young adults) and took her down a fun memory lane!  We made our way back to Victoria to her home and now to absorb
this beautiful ocean front city.  We have a few shopping missions, some key areas to see in Victoria and at least one more beach before our return home from this almost two week vacation!  Jam packed awesome vacation!  Back to my roots and back to my love of nature and inspiring me for my next summer when I plan to hike!  A goal for this summer until I severely sprained my ankle at the end of June, which didn't slow me down much in work and gigs but did take me out of the tennis and rugged terrain activities.  For my shows I just put on a boot and tied it up tight in case I forgot myself in the moment and turned or twisted the wrong way.  And I follow (on Instagram) hiking and
camping adventurists the way people follow musicians.  With the exception of John Mayer I find most of them hum drum, but the hikers as I commented recently are "my version of rockstars!"  Music comes easy, adventuring and nature were always my passion that got lost in the shuffle of life.  But this seems like a perfect time to re-explore that area and with my other passion (Music) now being my work, I am happy to find a hobby!  And I get to pretend I'm a rockstar upon my return as I fly in the morning of my next gig at the Mitchell Fall Fair with my awesome new band (Steph and the RoadHounds) and experience stage and jet lag which I don't anticipate to hit me until the following week... when I get back to fall lessons.   But then I feel like maybe that won't even happen as I feel BC revitalized and relaxed from this chill and beautiful side of Canada.  It is always worth the trip and I will still talk about moving here monthly, especially now that i have realized they do not need screens for the windows, no bugs, or very, very few.   And the cool, warm, fresh air, just add to the beauty of our awesome west coast.  I must say the beginning of 50 is just wonderful!  

No comments:

Post a Comment