Monday 23 October 2017

Summer Time Slam

I always seem to be surprised that my summer becomes booked up to the brim, even though every year it is the same deal.  February, March and April I think hmmmm, summer will be very calm and then WHAM!  Along comes all of the events and the festivities!  Live music is now, wonderfully, becoming a part of most of them.  Somehow I have also found myself in several bands as I’m sure I mentioned before, however, when things tend to get a bit slow and projects are not as overloading, I get nervous… anxious… plain freaked out!  My natural status is busy and moving.  I have decided there is just nothing wrong with this (and it’s only taken me “almost” 50yrs) to accept this.  I love social, it is fun, it is rejuvenating and it is a good use of energy for me.  I respect those who love their solitude and the more I except and nurture my social side the more I enjoy the solitude in life.  My desk is always filled with paper and 5 different jobs on the go, but this is what makes my world tick.  I do know I could use a bit more order and shelves, but for now it is just ok.  I know that nothing ground breaking will be happening until the excess of busy shows are enjoyed and over!  July 1st looks like the first day of possible rest.  Also we throw into the mix, Max’s graduation from grade 8 and his birthday, the forth and final graduation from public school is both exciting and a bit sad to think, the last of the boys to be in public school.  Highschool goes past like a flash and wow, I don’t want to even think about how quiet my life could be with him off to college.  (although I am careful to say this out loud, as usually when I think this or say it, some or all of my adult children announce they will be moving back home “for a bit”) It seems as the years go by the faster they speed by and the quicker the youngest of the tribe grows up, maybe that is because I know with our older children, just where this is headed.  So fun though that a couple of my musical projects include my boys and now Max is part of his very own band.  A sign of the times, they are a changing!  He has joined in the Alivia Judge Band, and it is so exciting to see a youth band form and watch them begin to lead themselves and perform at some of the same venues.  I will be at the Stratford Blues and Ribfest on the Friday night and they will be performing at it on the Sunday afternoon.  It is kinda cool to see how they evolve and I’m pretty excited to play at it also with my new band Steph and the Road Hounds (I got to have my name in the band name since I refused to be called a “RoadHound”)  I prefer the title of “Queen”.   I figure 50 has got to have some perks, and being Queen could be one of them!  So as usual I am putting my seatbelt on for the flurry of activities ascending on me for June, I am gearing up for our last student showcase of the year with Deep Waters Music and Skyline Studios students at the Stonewillow West Lawn Marquee in St Marys.  It is such a nice “almost outdoor” venue for the end of the year.  The students who wish to perform, join their teachers and showcase their music they have worked hard on since our Christmas showcase!  It is so nice for family and friends to support the students, and we bring a few areas together, heck if we were more like the hockey leagues, imagine our showcases!  Ok now I don’t have enough energy for that this month, but it is a great idea.  Maybe a project for another decade?  When I’m really bored and all my kids have actually moved out and don’t plan on returning?  

No comments:

Post a Comment